- 3 cups navy beans, soaked & simmered until tender
- 1.5 cups ketchup (I used organic in order to avoid HFCS)
- 1.5 cups chicken broth (homemade)
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1 Tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 6 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 heaping cup of brown sugar (I used palm sugar)
Put all ingredients in a crock pot and cook on low for 10 hours.
Now, the results are pretty tasty. But I have a few things I'd like to fix the next time around. The first thing is that the beans aren't as sweet as I had expected them to be. Their flavor also doesn't "pop" in that way I associate with really bold beans -- I'm not sure if the flavor I'm missing is some variety of smoky or if it's just not very tomato-y. Also, the beans seem very mushy -- should I have pre-cooked them for less time before putting them in the crock pot?
If you have experience with baked beans, please post here. I would love to hear your thoughts.