Hey all -
Hope you’ve had a good last week. Amusingly enough, I didn’t have a whole lot to post from last week so I had to wait a few extra days before some goodies came to my attention. I hope you enjoy these!
- Do you enjoy literature? Do you enjoy comedy? The perfect melding of the two is at Thug Notes on YouTube. It’s simply fantastic.
- Are you a Patrick Rothfuss fan? You should be. He announced on his blog today that he is coming out with a new book which is not the third book in the Kingkiller Chronicle. Yes, I’m a bit disappointed, but it’s set in that world so that’ll be a nice consolation.
- Stephen Colbert is closing down The Colbert Report and taking over The Late Show from David Letterman when he retires at the end of the year. As a result, Stephen has been making the rounds on shows this week. Here he says goodbye on The Daily Show. And he was also on The Late Show this past week.
- John Waters filmed a no-smoking PSA? Yes!
- Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen being adorable, AGAIN.
- A fantastic fan film featuring Harley Quinn.
- Short film following two astronauts on a ship that can travel back three minutes in time. Simply great.
I’m still trying to find the time to finish the Berlin installment of the latest Shadowrun Returns game in order to review it properly here. So far it’s great, but I’m only about 10 hours of gameplay in.
Also, I picked up a game for the iPad (and other systems) called Dragons of Atlantis: Heirs of the Dragon. It’s a “free to play” city-building-in-a-pvp-world type game. I played Evony back in the day for a while until the pvp stuff eventually drove me away from it. The interface on a touch screen is great. And it has neat added features like building mythical troop units (minotaurs, dragons, ogres) and you can raise an epic dragon to defend your city. If you like this sort of game, give it a try.Read More
Hola all – please enjoy some amusements I found online in the past week!
- Isn’t this cool?
- What you wish would happen on The Walking Dead
- Some Robert Downey, Jr. love.
- A pretty funny list of things that make no sense in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Yes, that’s apparently a thing that’s capitalized now.
- Winnie the Pooh as Darth Vader.
- Check out this sonic screwdriver case!
- Sean Astin, Nathan Fillion, Alan Tudyk and light sabers.
- Bruce Campbell and Nathan Fillion
- Goats singing the Game of Thrones theme. It’s wonderful.
- This is the creepiest thing I’ve seen all week. Watch the concert video.
- You heard Stephen Colbert will be taking over for David Letterman? Enjoy some of the amazing talent he brings to bear.
- I apparently missed Harrison Ford appearing on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon (before he took over The Tonight Show). Ford pierces Fallon’s ear. It’s pretty funny. I think it’s a pity Fallon didn’t keep the piercing.
- Funny or Die has created Creationist Cosmos.
Lastly, you know I’m a big fan of Tabletop, the Geek & Sundry web show hosted by Wil Wheaton on YouTube. They’ve decided to crowdsource the third season of the show over on Indiegogo. Check out the campaign and give if you can. If he can reach $1m, we will get a third season of Tabletop with 20 episodes AND a new spin-off show all about roleplaying games. THAT is something I really want to see!
Enjoy your week!Read More
Ok, to be honest, it’s more like the last couple of weeks online. Getting back into the swing of things here. Hope you enjoy these things I found!
- Did you hear about the discovery of gravitational waves?
- Homestar Runner finally updated!
- After this news, I’m actually kind of excited about NBC’s Constantine. Now if they can only get him to smoke…
- This… is totally creepy. Watch the fingers.
- X-Men: Days of Future Past trailer. Squeeee!
- I know I’ve posted about Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart here before. Here’s another fantastic article showcasing the fun they’ve been having together while performing two plays in repertory.
- Are you ready for Game of Thrones’ new season to start? I know! Me too! Here’s a great refresher of what’s happened in the last 3 seasons. I don’t read the books, so this was helpful for me.
- 15 Things you Didn’t Know Your iPhone Could Do. A helpful article from BuzzFeed.
- NPH and Jason Segel sing “The Confrontation” from Les Miserables. It’s really great.
- Wil Wheaton counsels a little girl on how to deal with being called a nerd. Just another example of what a great guy he is.
- Wolverine the Musical? Yep. Only made better by the fact that Jackman sings it.
- A review of the best April Fools jokes from the internet this year. They missed Goat Simulator somehow.
- Enjoy this Strong Bad / Daft Punk mashup! (Come on fhqwhgads…)
- Lannista’s Paradise. GoT parody song. Very well done!
- Felicia Day launched her redesigned website & blog. Check it out!
Yesterday’s Tabletop episode featured the board game Fortune and Glory. The players are Felicia Day, Ryon Day, Wil Wheaton, and Brandon Routh.
My first exposure to Fortune & Glory was on the game review site Shut Up & Sit Down. They did not favorably review the game, saying that there isn’t much strategy to the game and that if a player happens to roll poorly on a consistent basis they can end up not having a lot to do for the duration of the game. My favorite quote from their review is “This game, this beautiful game, this landfill of components, cards and color, this crush of cliffhangers, is everything that’s wrong with Ameritrash.”
As a quick aside, Shut Up & Sit Down is a fantastic gaming review site and I think it’s a great compliment to Tabletop (and On The Table) for gaming news. They’re raising funding to keep their website/content production going, so if you feel like tossing them some monetary love I think they’re worth it.
My thoughts about the game from this episode of Tabletop… well, 7 minutes in Wil cuts in and admits they got the rules all wrong throughout their gameplay so the episode isn’t really a representative sense of how the game plays. So, it’s hard to gauge. They certainly seem to have fun playing the game. But there are a LOT of bits involved… games with tons of bits can be a headache. There also seem to be a TON of rules and rules variants.
I think this is a game whose theme (Indiana Jones-style adventurers traversing the world to gather artifacts and fight Nazis) is very appealing. I will probably rent this game from my local game store to give it a try before thinking about purchasing it.
If you take the time to watch this episode, I recommend you take an additional 10 minutes to watch SU&SD’s review as well.Read More
Happy Thursday! Today’s episode of Tabletop features Ticket to Ride: Europe.
Players are Emma Caulfield, Anne Wheaton and John Kovalic. The chemistry between the players is very upbeat and positive, despite Wil and John’s initial competitiveness against each other. Still, this game basically plays just like the original Ticket to Ride from last season with very small variations.
Hope everyone has had a good week. The kids in my area got the entire week off from school due to snow, and this was also my son’s birthday week. So happy birthday to him, and yay snow! I feel like I’ve gotten some proper Winter now.
The big project at my house is painting a bathroom to look like the inside of the classic TARDIS. It’s turned out to be a lot more work than expected (as all painting projects do). I’ll be posting pictures & details here when it’s finished!Read More
Hola everyone! Hope you’re having a warm & relaxing MLK day today. Here’s some fun stuff I’ve seen online in the last couple of weeks:
- Tabletop was on Dork Tower!
- Awesome cat furniture. Seriously, if a truck of money hits me, I will be getting some of this!
- Important safety tips – if the nukes ever fall, here’s what to do.
- British actors as cartoon cats? Yes, please!
- Had you heard that Cosmos is being re-booted? With Neil deGrasse Tyson? Yeppers!
- A fantastic and fascinating stop motion horror film.
- The official Doctor Who numbering system, for those who have become confused after the recent events of the 50th anniversary episode.
- An AD&D Stats Quiz. Take it to find out your real life stats block.
We’re expecting snow here tonight, which would be a nice change from the relatively mild temperatures and lots of rain we’ve had so far this Winter. Have a good week and check back soon for more posts!Read More