Hey all -
Hope you’ve had a good last week. Amusingly enough, I didn’t have a whole lot to post from last week so I had to wait a few extra days before some goodies came to my attention. I hope you enjoy these!
- Do you enjoy literature? Do you enjoy comedy? The perfect melding of the two is at Thug Notes on YouTube. It’s simply fantastic.
- Are you a Patrick Rothfuss fan? You should be. He announced on his blog today that he is coming out with a new book which is not the third book in the Kingkiller Chronicle. Yes, I’m a bit disappointed, but it’s set in that world so that’ll be a nice consolation.
- Stephen Colbert is closing down The Colbert Report and taking over The Late Show from David Letterman when he retires at the end of the year. As a result, Stephen has been making the rounds on shows this week. Here he says goodbye on The Daily Show. And he was also on The Late Show this past week.
- John Waters filmed a no-smoking PSA? Yes!
- Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen being adorable, AGAIN.
- A fantastic fan film featuring Harley Quinn.
- Short film following two astronauts on a ship that can travel back three minutes in time. Simply great.
I’m still trying to find the time to finish the Berlin installment of the latest Shadowrun Returns game in order to review it properly here. So far it’s great, but I’m only about 10 hours of gameplay in.
Also, I picked up a game for the iPad (and other systems) called Dragons of Atlantis: Heirs of the Dragon. It’s a “free to play” city-building-in-a-pvp-world type game. I played Evony back in the day for a while until the pvp stuff eventually drove me away from it. The interface on a touch screen is great. And it has neat added features like building mythical troop units (minotaurs, dragons, ogres) and you can raise an epic dragon to defend your city. If you like this sort of game, give it a try.Read More
Hola all – please enjoy some amusements I found online in the past week!
- Isn’t this cool?
- What you wish would happen on The Walking Dead
- Some Robert Downey, Jr. love.
- A pretty funny list of things that make no sense in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Yes, that’s apparently a thing that’s capitalized now.
- Winnie the Pooh as Darth Vader.
- Check out this sonic screwdriver case!
- Sean Astin, Nathan Fillion, Alan Tudyk and light sabers.
- Bruce Campbell and Nathan Fillion
- Goats singing the Game of Thrones theme. It’s wonderful.
- This is the creepiest thing I’ve seen all week. Watch the concert video.
- You heard Stephen Colbert will be taking over for David Letterman? Enjoy some of the amazing talent he brings to bear.
- I apparently missed Harrison Ford appearing on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon (before he took over The Tonight Show). Ford pierces Fallon’s ear. It’s pretty funny. I think it’s a pity Fallon didn’t keep the piercing.
- Funny or Die has created Creationist Cosmos.
Lastly, you know I’m a big fan of Tabletop, the Geek & Sundry web show hosted by Wil Wheaton on YouTube. They’ve decided to crowdsource the third season of the show over on Indiegogo. Check out the campaign and give if you can. If he can reach $1m, we will get a third season of Tabletop with 20 episodes AND a new spin-off show all about roleplaying games. THAT is something I really want to see!
Enjoy your week!Read More
|I caught Captain America: The Winter Soldier last night, and it is a fantastic film. (spoiler-free)
I wasn’t a big fan of the first one. Sue me. Superman doesn’t appeal to me for the same reason Captain America doesn’t appeal. Do-gooders are boring.
This film, however, takes Cap and makes him interesting – which is a thing I never thought I’d see. There’s plenty of action in the film, as one would expect from a Marvel superhero film, but the thing I noticed the most were the quiet scenes. And there were a good number of quiet scenes.
These scenes allowed the viewer to reflect, to appreciate the growing relationships between various sets of characters. You don’t see a lot of quiet in action films these days.
Yes, Cap is still a do-gooder. But he agonizes over that fact. The fact that he is constitutionally incapable of taking the easy way, doing things expediently, taking missions which are morally grey, makes him agonize over his place in the world. As Nick Fury says early on, Black Widow has no such compunctions. That’s what makes them such a great team. It certainly doesn’t hurt that Chris Evans and Scarlett Johansson have great on-screen chemistry.
Marvel fans will get a number of happy moments, none of which I’ll spoil here. Suffice it to say – there are two “extras” at the end of the film. One mid-way through the credits and one at the very end of the credits. Stay for both!
If you are watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., you should get out to see this film within the next day. Marvel is doing an unprecedented thing by having Cap2 impact Agents starting tomorrow night. They’ve given fans opening weekend to see the film so that you’re up to date.
If you want your spoilers, there are a couple of articles that have been written that do a far more exhaustive job pouring over the film than I would be able to do.
- All the Secrets and References in CA:TWS (i09). This is a great article which goes into a lot of detail about the comic book history of all the various characters encountered – a lot of which I didn’t know. Two things I’ll comment on which aren’t really spoilers but that I learned from this article. I didn’t know Ed Brubaker was in the film! He wrote the Captain America – Winter Soldier comic storyline. Completely missed noticing him in the scene in which he appears. Also, I think it’s great Cap’s to-do list has been customized for each country in which the film is shown. I think Doctor Who should’ve been on his list for the UK!
- CA2 Spoilers: Every Easter Egg in The Winter Soldier (moviepilot.com). This list makes me want to go back and re-watch the film!
Yay! Saturday is Tabletop Day!
From game stores to individual households, Saturday is the celebration of all things tabletop gaming. Get out and check out your local game store, or invite some friends over to play a game. There are SO many games out there worth checking out. A few of my current favorites are:
The Tabletop Day website is where you can get information about game stores and events near you. Check out this video where Wil Wheaton talks about the day and some fun swag Geek & Sundry has worked hard to get out to participating stores.
Play more games!Read More
Ok, to be honest, it’s more like the last couple of weeks online. Getting back into the swing of things here. Hope you enjoy these things I found!
- Did you hear about the discovery of gravitational waves?
- Homestar Runner finally updated!
- After this news, I’m actually kind of excited about NBC’s Constantine. Now if they can only get him to smoke…
- This… is totally creepy. Watch the fingers.
- X-Men: Days of Future Past trailer. Squeeee!
- I know I’ve posted about Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart here before. Here’s another fantastic article showcasing the fun they’ve been having together while performing two plays in repertory.
- Are you ready for Game of Thrones’ new season to start? I know! Me too! Here’s a great refresher of what’s happened in the last 3 seasons. I don’t read the books, so this was helpful for me.
- 15 Things you Didn’t Know Your iPhone Could Do. A helpful article from BuzzFeed.
- NPH and Jason Segel sing “The Confrontation” from Les Miserables. It’s really great.
- Wil Wheaton counsels a little girl on how to deal with being called a nerd. Just another example of what a great guy he is.
- Wolverine the Musical? Yep. Only made better by the fact that Jackman sings it.
- A review of the best April Fools jokes from the internet this year. They missed Goat Simulator somehow.
- Enjoy this Strong Bad / Daft Punk mashup! (Come on fhqwhgads…)
- Lannista’s Paradise. GoT parody song. Very well done!
- Felicia Day launched her redesigned website & blog. Check it out!